How to Add a Cover Photo to Instagram Reels to Keep Your Feed Looking Cohesive
While the importance of a perfectly aesthetic feed is beginning to fade with the rise of Reels, it's still important to make sure your Instagram feed looks intentional and put together (especially if you're trying to monetize your presence on Instagram). Adding a cover to Reels can improve the look of your feed, and if you make sure that your cover has a clear, enticing title, your cover can even improve your views. Here's the break down of how to add a cover photo to your Instagram reels.
1. First, go through the process of creating a reel until you get to the Share screen.
2. Tap on the word "Cover".
3. You can use the slider to select a cover from the video, or you can tap on "Add from Camera Roll". When you upload from Camera Roll, your cover can be higher quality than a still from your Reel. After you've selected your cover, click "Done."
4. Now you can crop your profile image so it fits perfectly in your grid. Tap on "Crop Profile Image". After you have it set the way you like, tap "Done" in the top right corner.
How to Edit a Reel Cover After You've Posted a Reel
If you've posted Reels in the past without great covers, never fear. You can go back in and edit the cover at any time.
1. Tap the three dots in the bottom right hand corner.
2. Tap on "Edit."
3. Now you can follow the the steps above to update your Reels cover from the Share screen.
Being intentional about your Reel covers is a simple way to up your Instagram game. Sure, IG will automatically pick a frame of your Reel as the cover, but that frame might not fit your aesthetic at all. Also, some trends don't lend themselves to all aesthetics. By uploading a photo from your camera roll as a Reel cover, you can do any trend you like while also maintaining the hard work you've put into your feed.